[DynareDev] Building Dynare under Windows

Sébastien Villemot sebastien at dynare.org
Tue Nov 6 17:55:02 CET 2018

Hi all,

I have added in the README.md file a section explaining how to build
Dynare from Windows, using the excellent MSYS2 environment. This tool
provides a convenient environment for building native Windows binaries,
using a setup very close to the one we use for cross-building the
official Dynare package.

The only drawback is that it cannot compile all the docs (MSYS2 does
not include Texlive), and so far I haven't succeded in building the MEX
for Octave (it may be feasible, but clearly more work and tweaks are
needed).

If you are working under Windows, I therefore encourage you to test and
possibly use MSYS2.

Johannes: some time ago you contributed instructions for building
Dynare in the Windows Subsystem for Linux. These instructions are
probably outdated, because the version of Ubuntu mentioned there has no
C++14 support. And I am quite surprised that you are able to compile
MEX files for MATLAB in this environment, unless you are maybe using a
cross-compiler? (in which case it should be documented) So these
instructions should probably be updated or, if they're no longer
relevant, removed.

Best,

--
Sébastien Villemot